About Me

My photo
Los Angeles, California, United States

Thursday, August 25, 2011

RIP Aaliyah: The Princess of "Street But Sweet"


In a world rife with bubble-gum cookie cutter pop stars, I have a hard time finding pop music that my artistic sensibilities respond to... I'm the type of girl who wants not only to dance, but to feel a connection to what I'm dancing to. I want to share a moment with the song, I want to be transported.

If there was one person who could make me feel that way it was Aaliyah. On this, the 10th anniversary of her passing so many bittersweet emotions arise. I love the outpouring of memories and support I have seen from all her fans, but I really wish she were still here.

People often ask, what was so special about Aaliyah? It's a difficult question to answer, because there were so many things. But one thing in particular stands out to me. It was her ability to be understated yet sexy, to exude this poised polished demeanor that was still so hood. She was sultry but subtle, fierce and smoldering in the coolest possible way. She was, as I have heard her describe it, "Street but sweet."

I wish so many of the over-sexualized objectified stars of today would take a moment to follow that example. Aaliyah proved that you didn't have to do what everyone expected to be successful. She stood on the merits of her talent and self-confidence and it was indeed enough. She was a trendsetter who was not afraid to try something new and to be herself, and I will always admire, respect, and miss that element in the music game.

RIP Aaliyah!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment